Official virtual packages

Hi,

My package pcscd depends on virtual package 'pcsc-ifd-handler'. I have a
set of packages, currently maintained by me that provides
'pcsc-ifd-handler'.

The pscsd is a daemon that provides conectivity with smartcard terminals.
It supports several smartcard terminal models/vendors.  Each
smartcard terminal driver is packaged separately and provides
'pcsc-ifd-handler'.

Currently there are 3 'pcsc-ifd-handler', but there will be more in the
future.

In the debian-policy 2.3.5 the following is said about virtual packages:

     All packages should use virtual package names where appropriate, and
     arrange to create new ones if necessary.  They should not use virtual
     package names (except privately, amongst a cooperating group of
     packages) unless they have been agreed upon and appear in the list of
     virtual package names.

I haven't already gone through the processs of declaring
'pcsc-ifd-handler' as virtual package.

My question is, when is it considered that a virtual package name is not
being used "privately", and so it's violating the policy?:

When all the packages depending/providing them are from the same
maintainer? Just when packages depending are from the same
maintainer? Just when packages providing are from the same
maintainer? None of the options?

Thanks in advance,
Carlos Prados.