libdb3-3.3.11, subversion server

Hi,

I'm working on packaging subversion, a compelling replacement for cvs.
The subversion server needs the Berkeley Database version 3.3.11, the
current version in unstable is 3.2.9.  I've build 3.3.11-1 based on
patches in the BTS (#109853).

The differences betwene 3.2.x and 3.3.x require a recompile of
applications that use the database (my first clue was ping
segfaulting).

That is a bunch of packages
$ zgrep -c "Depends:.* libdb3" Packages.gz
223
$

It looks to me like the most reasonable path is to make libdb3.3
packages that can co-exist with libdb3.

Is that the best way? Or is there some clever alternative I haven't
thought of?

Thanks,

David