Re: GPG key

(you would probably get more competent advice on a gpg-related list)

Marcin Owsiany <porridge@debian.org> writes:

> The question is: why does "-v -v -v -v --with-colons" display
> such enormous amount of duplicated entries?

The thing is that you are listing three versions of this key (every
pub: line starts a new one), as will be more apperent if you leave all
the verboseness off. These other versions probably hail from
additional keyrings. Perhaps these are referenced in your options
file? In this case you could ignore them via "--no-options".

> Do the "sig"s that follow them mean that the particular uid has the
> particular signatures?

Yes, OpenPGP lets you sign uids. (I even think that you can *only*
sign uids, but this may be my misconception.)

There's no general consensus about what signing a uid means, though. I
personally only sign the first uid, because I think trusting the
person to manage her uids correctly is not too much, and the
consequences of someone botching this amount to a DoS at most. Others
think differently, and sign only uids which reference an e-mail
address they have verified.

--
Robbe