Re: installer question

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 06:46:23AM -0700, jay@docherty.com wrote:
> I am currently working on a project to preconfigure a version of linux to function as a game server.  The outcome of the project would be, users could download the distro (hopefully under 200M) and set it up using the ascii installer and have a fully functional game server ready to run CS, DOD, q3, UT or RA.
>
> What I would like to do is modify the standard debian install process.  I would like to remove certain packages altogether (all X apps, anything non-OS essential), create some new ones and alter a few configure files here and there.
  Actually, I'd suggest just looking at debootstrap from woody/sid and
working with a chroot.  debootstrap will build you a root filesystem from
the current packages in the archives. Then you can chroot into that tree and
do your configuration/limited testing before going for the full thing.

> My question is this, would I be breaking any licencing agreements by doing the above mentioned?  If not which are the main files that drive the install?  Is there any good documentation about the install?  I've touched most aspects of Debian one time or another but I've never touched the install process.
  Not at all.  Again, check out debootstrap, that's probably what you're
looking for.

  - Nick Lopez
    kimo_sabe@atdot.org
--
If ignorance is bliss, is omniscience hell?