Re: upstream library without a SONAME

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 04:41:53PM -0400, sharkey@superk.physics.sunysb.edu wrote:
> > That is a nice, rational versioning scheme, I agree.
> >
> > I don't see how it fits in this discussion, though.  For one thing,
> > I'm not using libtool.
>
> But all shared libraries are recommended to follow this convention.
>
> > So I guess I'm still searching for the answer to my original questions:
> >
> > 1.  Does Debian require a SONAME for a shared lib?
>
> You mean the tag inside the library itself?

Yes.

> All of the shared libraries I have installed on my machine have an
> embedded SONAME tag.  I thought this was required by the dynamic linker?

Not so!

	cd /usr/lib
	for x in *.so ; do objdump -p $x | grep -q SONAME || echo $x; done

Results:

>From my preliminary inventor packages:
	libInventor.so		These are mine
	libInventorXt.so

>From package gmt:
	libgmt.so
	libpsl.so

>From package swig:
	libswigpl.so
	libswigpy.so
	libswigtcl.so
	libswigtcl8.so

These are perfectly good shared libs, in the sense that I can
link against them:

steve@riemann{steve}ldd /usr/bin/ivview |grep Inventor
	libInventorXt.so => /usr/lib/libInventorXt.so (0x40026000)
	libInventor.so => /usr/lib/libInventor.so (0x400b8000)

I gather from Steve L's response that he would consider these packages
to be in violation of policy, however.

-S

--
by Rocket to the Moon,