Re: How do I control ownership of installed package files?

harpo@udlug.org writes:

> > >because it forces everything to look like it's owned by root.  Use
> > >sudo.
> >
> > That's not true:
>
> You're right,  as long as you haven't exited fakeroot and started it up
> again in the meantime;  I didn't realize that.

It should be noted that this requirement is broken when your rules
have something like:

  install: install-stamp
  install-stamp: build-stamp
        install stuff
        chown someuser stuff

  binary-arch: install-stamp
        build package

because than it is possible to build the package in two fakeroot runs,
i.e.:

fakeroot debian/rules install
fakeroot debian/rules binary

and the changed owner will be lost. That's another reason it's better
to chown in a binary target...

--
Robbe