Re: Closing BUGS on a package's changelog

Gergely Nagy <8@free.bsd.hu> wrote:
>Thus spoke Sergio Talens-Oliag <sto@isoco.com> on 2001-07-03 11:02:12:
>>   * If this happens to me again, shoud I move all the 'Close' tags on the
>>     REJECTED package to the last version?
>
>I saw something like this in some packages:
>
>  * Fixed in previous upload: Closes #xxx, #yyy, #zzz
>
>That made sense to me

That makes no sense to me; it's just noise in the changelog (and it
doesn't tell the submitter anything useful, since it doesn't say *how*
the bugs were fixed ...). There have even been some uploads with no
other purpose than to close some bugs, which just puts more load on the
autobuilders for no reason.

If you've already fixed something, just mail xxxxx-done@bugs.debian.org
about it. If people are looking through the history of old bugs in a
package, they can always use
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=foo&archive=yes, since
we don't expunge old bug reports any more.

Personally, if an upload of mine was REJECTed, I'd just fix it and
re-upload with the same version number. If this was inappropriate for
some reason (e.g. I'd been pointing people at the version in incoming),
I'd build with 'dpkg-buildpackage -v<version-before-the-REJECTed-one>'.