Re: Autoconfig 2.13 failing to detect tcl/tk

On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 09:13:31PM -0700, Brett Cundal wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> I'm trying to put together a package that uses tk, but the config script
> that comes with the upstream package doesn't detect tcl or tk properly...
> The tests are just completely wrong... I guess the Debian packages for
> tcl/tk put things in non-standard locations?
>
> Anyhow, I imagine there are lots of packages that rely on tcl/tk in Debian,
> so is there a common or "correct" fix for this?
>
> Some details for those interested:
>
> ./configure looks for the files /usr/lib/tclConfig.sh and
> /usr/lib/tclConfig.sh, but on Debian they are in
> /usr/lib/tcl<version>/tclConfig.sh and /usr/lib/tk<version>/tkConfig.sh.
> I got around this problem by specifying --with-tcl=/usr/lib/tcl8.3 and
> --with-tk=/usr/lib/tk8.3, so it found the configuration scripts, but it
> doesn't do any good because ./configure looks in /usr/include for the tcl.h
> and tk.h files rather than /usr/include/tcl8.3 and /usr/include/tk8.3...
>
> There's no handy ./configure option to specify these paths, so I think I'm
> left with the option of patching the script to use these paths (which I
> don't think is a good solution) or getting a more recent version of the
> configure script that handles tcl correctly on Debian...
>
> Any recommendations?

2 suggestions:

1. Usually the configure will allow for --with-tclinclude
--with-tkinclude. Point them at /usr/include/{tcl,tk}8.x and it should
work fine.

2. If the above is not possible almost all configure scripts allow for
--with-extra-includes. Here you could add /usr/include/{tcl,tk}8.x as
well.

You might want to look at your {tcl,tk}Config.sh scripts. They both
should have a {TCL,TK}_SRC_DIR that points to the relevant
/usr/include/tcl8.x/{tcl,tk}-private. This all assumes you have the dev
packages installed.

--
Gordon Sadler