Re: Advocate/Sponsor

Danie,

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Danie Roux wrote:

> I would love to have an advocate. Being in Pretoria, South Africa that's not
> going to be easy though.

A developer does not have to be physically proximate to you to be your
advocate; in fact, it doesn't have to be your advocate who signs your key,
either.  The advocate merely ... advocates for you to the NM committee, he is
someone who will speak on your behalf in recommending you for maintainership.
So in many cases, it may be better to seek a debian developer who knows your
work and can evaluate your packages -- often your sponsor is best suited to
be your advocate.

You still need to have your key signed before you can become a d-d, and this
usually requires a physical meeting.  IIRC, there are some d-d's living in
South Africa, though I don't remember what city; and if a physical meeting
doesn't seem possible, there are other ways that have been used in the past to
handle the identification requirement.  In the meantime, sponsored uploads are
a great way to get started with Debian.

Regards,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer