Re: autoconf and testing

sanvila@unex.es said:
>> I'm packaging a program for multiple distributions that build-depends on
>> autoconf 2.50. [...]
>
> You might better avoid this if you can. Packages made by autoconf do
> not usually depend on autoconf for the build, that's why the configure
> script is shipped within the tarball.

ok, that could work too. The upstream source does of course include the
configure script. I was just using the debian/rules made by dh_make, and
its clean target says:

clean:
        dh_testdir
        dh_testroot
        rm -f build-stamp configure-stamp
        -$(MAKE) distclean
        dh_clean

It's the make distclean that ends up trying to call autoconf. You're
right, though, there's no reason to regenerate things unless I change
configure.in.

thanks,

Jason