Re: removing old conffiles on upgrade

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
>On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
>> What if you MOVED the file, rather than copying it: would dpkg still
>> complain?
>
>Do it in preinst (and don't forget to add the proper error recovery to move
>it back should the install fail), and dpkg will not complain.

Except, well, it does. At least if you've also changed the conffile in
the package (perhaps in a later upload than the one where you moved the
conffile, if people didn't upgrade to the version in the middle). The
same (mis)behaviour happens if you make a non-conffile a conffile and
then change it in the package; I can produce a trivial test case if you
like. This is a problem with both groff and man-db, despite my
maintainer scripts doing (as far as I can tell) the right thing.

It's not clear to me whether it's a (fixable) bug in dpkg, though. At
least in the non-conffile to conffile case it doesn't seem to have the
md5sums around at the right time. On the other hand, I don't know how I
can work around it in my packages, because the only thing that runs
before conffile replacement is the preinst and I don't have the unpacked
files handy at that point to do additional replacement logic myself.