Re: license question and problems

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Muhammad Hussain Yusuf wrote:

> The license for babel is:
>

> This software is provided on an "as is" basis, and without warranty of
> any  kind, including but not limited to any implied warranty of
> merchantability  or fitness for a particular purpose.
>
> In no event shall the authors or the University of Arizona be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental, special, or consequential damages
> arising from use or distribution of this software. The University of Arizona
> also shall not be liable for any claim against any user of this program by
> any third party.
>
> (That's it!)

That is the disclaimer (warranty) part (normally last paragraph) of a
standard BSD or X11 license text, not the license part. The license part
goes like "Permission is hereby granted, free of charge..." blah blah. If
you don't have that part, you don't have a license at all, and hence can't
redistribute.

> 1) Is the above license OK for Debian?
> 2) If so, is it OK to go ahead if I do not get a reply from the authors?

No, you need a license.

> 3) The new gdis  package also depends on the Debian povray package, which is in
> non-free: I assume that my gdis package will therefore also have to go
> in non-free?

Or contrib.