Re: dpkg-genchanges and fileslistfile

Niall Young wrote:
> niall@host:~/Device-SerialPort/Device-SerialPort-0.10$ dpkg-genchanges -fdebian/Device-SerialPort.files
> dpkg-genchanges: error: badly formed line in files list file, line 1
>
> whose contents is:
>
> etc
> etc/Device
> usr
> usr/lib
> usr/lib/perl5
> usr/lib/perl5/5.005
> usr/lib/perl5/5.005/util-linux
> usr/local
> usr/local/lib
> usr/local/lib/site_perl
> usr/local/lib/site_perl/i386-linux
>
> What am I doing wrong?  Is there a utility to generate a fileslistfile
> or am I just going about this the wrong way?

Generation of debian/files is normally accomplished by dpkg --build,
which invokes dpkg-distaddfile. This is often encapsulated and
accomplished automatically in a call to dh_builddeb, if you are using
debhelper.

You're misunderstanding what the file is for. This is not rpm. The files
list file lists .deb files (and sometimes other files) that are
generated by a debian package, and is used by dpkg-genchanges to
generate a .changes file. It includes md5sum and size information.

If you are using debhelper, the most likely cause of this problem would
be calling dh_clean in a binary-* rule of debian/rules without passing
the -k flag. dh_clean(1) describes this scenario in the documentation of
the -k flag.

If you are not using debhelper, the most likely cause of this problem is
not properly running dpkg-deb by hand.

You may find the developers-reference package useful reading.

--
see shy jo