Re: /usr/share policy

Colin Watson wrote:
> Muhammad Hussain Yusuf <muhammadyusuf@btinternet.com> wrote:
> >I have a package, gstar, which places various lists of stars in
> >/usr/share/starchart since gstar is a gtk front-end to the starchart
> >programme.
> >
> >My question is: is there any policy or guidelines about naming stuff in
> >in /usr/share?
>
> /usr/share/<package> is usual, and mentioned (if not mandated?) in
> policy, but (personally) I would say that anything that's not too
> confusing and that's in a namespace you clearly own is OK. The name of a
> binary you install sounds like it qualifies.

It's mandated that the debian changelog and the copyright file be
available as /usr/share/<package>/{changelog.Debian.gz,copyright}. This
is required so that automated tools (think apt-listchanges) can find
them, and so anyone can easily find the copyright info.

Of course it's fine if any of the directories are symlinks.

--
see shy jo