Re: Package Orphanalization

> I'm interested in a package (gnu-smalltalk, specifically) whose maintainer
> appears to be inactive (on this package, at least)...
>
> I would be willing to maintain the package if possible, but I'm not
> currently a Debian maintainer... Can I package something and see if the
> current maintainer will upload it?

Nothing is prohibiting you.  You can always attach patches to bug
reports.

> I haven't contacted the current maintainer --

You should.  This should really be your first step.  If he does want to
orphan it, he may even give you advice on fixing it.

> Anyhow, I just thought I'd find out what I can do. If it's possible for me
> to package it, I might need some help from a "mentor"

The best way to handle mentoring is for you to just try on your own and
post specific questions here if you run into problems.  There isn't a
one-to-one relationship between mentors or mentored.  Many people aren't
exclusively in one position or the other.

Eric