Re: patching the kernel.

Viral <viral@debian.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> How does one create a kernel patch.
>
> I tried diff -r --new-files -u <old tree> <new tree>
>
> But the resulting patch didn't apply correctly.
> I also noticed that my paths were hardcoded in the patch, but I believe
> I can solve that by using relative paths.

The usual way to avoid (too much) path info in diffs is to have a both
the old and the new tree under the same directory, and start diff from
this directory. E.g. "diff -ruN linux.old linux".

Applying the patch then needs a cd to the linux dir (and -p1 as
argument) or to its parent dir (and -p0). In the later case, the name
of the linux directory has to match one of those in your diff.

--
Robbe