Re: dh_testroot ?

Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 11:50:37PM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> > I just noticed the debian/rules file for mirrormagic which I inherited from
> > Joey Hess uses dh_testroot to check that the build is run as root (or
> > fakeroot).
> >
> > I'm wondering what the justification for doing this is.  It prevents, for
> > instance, a home user compiling his own deb before installing unless he
> > specifically compiles it under root or fakeroot.
> A home user wanting to install a deb needs to have su rights, so where is
> the problem building a package with sudo (or fakeroot)?

A user wanting to install some binaries in ~/bin/ doesn't need root perms.

> For some building steps you need su rights, like setting the permissions of
> the files in the deb to root.root or something. If the admin does not want

Wrong, that's building the package, for which you still need root under
Debian (*brr* I've been told that with rpm tools you don't have to be
root), if you just want to compile the package, and that's what Drew
wanted, you don't have to require root perms.

I have to agree to him and would like to add that imho, every package
that requires root for compiling or compiles in its binary-foo target
is broken.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Let's call it an accidental feature.  --Larry Wall