Re: diversions

On Sat, 05 May 2001, Wolfgang Sourdeau wrote:
> I am currently packaging gfax. In the Debian Policy it is specified
> that one, willing to divert an executable, should contact the original
> executable's maintainer.

This is there mainly to make sure you damn well know what you're doing when
playing with diversions, and to make sure other people that might affected
by them are warned. AFAIK anyway.

> In my case the lpr provided by gfax is a wrapper to provide the lpr
> -Pfax command line. Should I contact both the LPRng and BSD lpr
> managers ? Also, I would like to know why it should be done, so that I
> can understand further.

You should contact them. Also, please understand one thing about diversions:
once you add one, you must keep the code to *remove* it around. Even if stop
doing a diversion, you will need to move the code to remove it from the *rm
scripts to the postinst script (to remove it on upgrades from old packages)
-- and you'll stay with that cruft in your postinst for as long as the
package is in Debian (or for two full Debian stable releases after the one
where the diversion was removed, whichever happens sooner).

That said, good luck with your package.

  Henrique Holschuh