first questions

Hi,

I am the author of the GNU HaliFAX viewer and I have pre-packaged it
for Debian GNU/Linux. I have been a maintainer since Saturday and
although my packaging seemed correct to my applicant manager I still
have a few questions for which I have no answer.

In http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-upload.en.html,
paragraph 6.4.1 it is mentionned that the archive maintainer will
chose the appropriate category for a package. Does this mean that one
should take arrangement with him before uploading the package (so as
to have a consistent control file between the local and remote
archives) ?

The dh_installchangelogs doesn't accept a ChangeLog parameter when the
package is a native debian package. However, the GNU HaliFAX project
is (as its name implies) an official GNU project, which besides other
things, mean that we have to comply with the GNU standards. Those
standards specify a certain format for ChangeLog which differs from
the one of the Debian changelog format. Also, as a programmer I don't
want Debian-specific informations to go in my main changelog. I would
like to know if this is a bug in dh_installchangelogs or if I have
missed something? If the latter is true, what exactly is the problem
and what can be done about it. For the moment, I am "fooling" this
utility by adding a Debian release number ("0.21.0-1") instead of
having it be the same as the native release number ("0.21.0").

I think this is it for the moment.

Wolfgang

ps: sorry if you received this mail many times, I have experienced
problems sending it and tried a couple of times.