Policy Question: Startup Scripts and Config Files

Hi,

the upgrade-checklist says:

|      - If your package has a daemon startup script in /etc/init.d/,
|        and that script has parameters a system administrator may need,
|        you need to modify the script to read values from a conffile
|        placed in /etc/default/ directory. This conffile maybe sourced
|        by the init.d script to determine the configurable values (and
|        the conffile may contain only variable settings and comments).

I have a package where the init script contains most of the package's
functionality, and parses a free-format config file
/etc/$PACKAGE.conf. That file is not a shell script and can't be
directly sourced.

Can I keep that file as /etc/$PACKAGE, should I move it to
/etc/default (probably not), or do I have to re-work that file as
sourceable file that is then sourced by the init script?

Do I need to keep the init script as a conffile even if there are "no
admin serviceable parts inside"?

Greetings
Marc