Re: lintian -i file.changes error

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 02:17:44AM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 08:06:02PM -0400, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > > And note that hard links are forbidden by policy.
> >
> > Ah!  I looked for that bit of policy a few months ago, and couldn't find it.
> > Where did you find it?
>
> Searched for the word "hard" in
> /usr/share/doc/debian-policy/policy.text.gz.

Well, that addresses *how*.  Close enough.

I just pulled down policy 3.5.2.0 (the latest as far as I can tell),
and I find 12 occurrences of "hard" in that file.

It is true that section 5.6 forbids hard links in a _source_ package,
but recall that we are talking about .deb files.

I can find only two other references to hard links:

* 11.7.3 forbids hard links to conffiles
* 13.1 says you shouldn't make hard links to man pages

Is there really some passage in policy that forbids hard links that
I'm missing?  Is there a newer policy document somewhere?

-S