Re: Do I need 'unstable' for development?

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 02:33:15PM +0200, Dennis Schoen wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 02:05:05PM +0200, Karel Gardas wrote:
> > I have one question regarding creating debian package. Do I need unstable
> > debian for this task? I'm asking because I run potato now and (if possible)
> > wouldn't like to switch to unstable.
> You can always build your packages in a chroot (unstable/testing)
> environment, on your potato box, in fact that is what i'm doing.  See the
> list archive on how to create one.

In case it wasn't clear from this, yes, you should build your packages against
current unstable, if only to ensure that it will compile correctly there.  If
at all possible, you should have an unstable system in order to verify that
your package actually _works_, and to debug problems that are reported by users
running unstable.  If you don't run unstable on a system of your own, you must
be prepared to use someone else's in order to build and debug your packages.

--
 - mdz