Re: compile-time dependencies on external sources?

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Steve Langasek wrote:
> build time.  For questions of maintenance and bandwidth, I've chosen not to
> include the Samba source in the tarball; I find that automatically downloading

I'm facing the same problem. I have a binary-all data package that is 26MB
in size. I am not about to have both the binary .deb and source .deb 26MB in
size... so I have a donwload target that will download upstream data in /tmp
if it is not already there, and unpack it into the build tree.

> The question is, is it acceptable to do this in a Debian package?  There are

Yes, AFAIK.  Not that it is a good thing to do, mind you.

However do think about the autobuilders while designing it (I didn't have to
bother with them since my package is binary-all). Also, you should use
sources from the Debian samba package (probably using dpkg-source to unpack
them in your build tree, and apt-get source to retrieve it...).

You may also need to have your module package ensure that incompatible
versions of the samba package and the module package aren't installed in the
same system...

IMHO one should also always allow for a local copy of the 'donwloadable'
data you would want to fetch from the net. It's probably best to store it in
$TMPDIR

  Henrique Holschuh