New Packaging questions

Hello!

I am a fairly new developer - just approved last week and only have
one 'original' package in the archive (vgrabbj)..

I also am now the proud new administrator of a 2-3 node MOSIX cluster
(soon to grow, hopefully).  I have been seriously pondering packaging
the MOSIX tools for debian use (I already have the end-user tools
partially packaged), but have a dilemma: MOSIX is a kernel patch as
well as a number of include files and a handful of userspace files and
libraries. The userspace binaries are completely useless without a
kernel patched with the MOSIX patches.  I can deal with packaging the
include files (mosix-dev) and the libraries (libmosmap, libmos), and
the userspace binaries (mosix-bin).

My question is this:  All of this is fine and dandy, except that none
of these packages are useful without a MOSIX kernel.  Right now I see
 1) Include some sort of patched-kernel source package in the debian archive
 2) Include some sort of patchfile package (to patch against official
    debian sources) in the archive.
 3) Do #1, but also provide precompiled binary kernels with MOSIX
    enabled.
 4) Don't include any kernel packages, trusting that if the user wants
    the mosix binaries/includes/libraries, they will make a
    MOSIX-enabled kernel on their own.

Of course, if there is some DebianBlessed(tm) to do this sort of
thing, please point me to it.

I'd rather not do #3, because it would require me to track all the
kernel-* that the rest of the debian crew puts out, and currently it
looks like it's moving a little to fast for me to keep up (correct me
if I'm wrong, plz, I'm going off the idea that if they track preXX
they're keeping pretty up-to-date).

Anyway - thoughts/suggestions/flames?

Michael Janssen - Jamuraa - janssen@cns.uni.edu - jamuraa@base0.net