Two-part initialization?

Hi,

I am currently working on a package that provides a comfortable
framework for netfilter / iptables initialization. My current
challenge is that this needs the network interfaces to be up to
properly initialize, but the network interfaces shouldn't be brought
up before at least a minimal packet filter is in place.

The interfaces are brought up in "runlevel" S with priority 40, so I
should bring up the minimal packet filter at priority 38 (even before
/etc/init.d/ifupdown erases interface state), and initialize the
"real" packet filter at a later time (currently at 46, after NFS has
been mounted, since the binaries that I need might be NFS mounted [1]

My question is: How do I do this in a policy compliant way? Is there
something more elegant than having two init.d scripts in my package?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Greetings
Marc

[1] yuck, need to allow NFS in the minimal packet filter then, so I'd
better get my framework going without /usr and bring it up at 41.