Re: building binary-only package with different name?

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Peter van Rossum wrote:

> I tried `dpkg-buildpackage -b -apotato_i386 -rfakeroot' on potato after
> I first build the package with `dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot' on woody.
> Potato may not be a different architecture than woody, but it was the
> closest thing I could find. This didn't work though - the package wasn't
> build at all. I suspect dpkg-buildpackage checks if the architecture is
> something valid and refuses to do anything if it is something unknown
> like `potato' :-(.

The 'architecture' argument is used for cross-compiling, e.g. from i386 to
powerpc.  Unless you have an x86 potato environment set up for cross-building
(complete with a second copy of gcc and binutils :), this option won't be of
much use.

Probably not too important in the present context, but I'm compelled to share
trivia when the subject of cross-compiling arises :)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer