Re: keeping files from one version to the other.

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Josip Rodin wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 01:23:47PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> >
> > It does not violate 13.3 because at the time the package is newly installed,
> > /usr/share/doc/ppp/examples/* exists.
>
> ...so the system administrator won't get a chance to delete them and won't
> cause the program (the script) to break. That's the rationale behind that
> policy section, it seems.

Plausible argument, but I seem to recall discussions of scenarios where
the sysadmin wants /usr/share/doc so un-badly that it will never exist and
will never be installed, e.g. by using some kind of dpkg feature to avoid
installation of these directories. Can't hurt to be prepared for that kind
of thing? Maybe policy should be clarified here whether maintainer scripts
need apply or not...