RE: debian revision numbers for gnome-utils

> Now I did some additional fixes (add a man page, ...) and
> want to prepare a new package.  Should I increase the
> Debian revision number for this (to avoid possible confusion)
> or should I just replace my files with new version (to keep
> the revision numbers of official versions contiguous)?

(upstream is assumed to be 1.0)

1.0-1, initial work
1.0-2, oops, forgot something
1.0-3, policy changed so I had to change my packaging

1.0 is the upstream version, changes to the debian version have nothing to do
with it.  You can have 1.0-100 and it is still upstream 1.0, you just made lots
of changes while packaging.

The debian version is there to denote changes you make while perfecting the
package and following policy.  Change it as often as you need to.