Re: "Testing" hassles

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Steve Langasek wrote:

> I've found that Qt builds surprisingly well if I use Compaq's cxx compiler.
> It might be nice if the qt packages were structured to allow rebuilding with
> different compilers, although having Qt Build-Depend on a non-free package is
> not a very good solution. :/

Tell me about it :-P  Since Compaq doesn't allow redistribution of their
compilers per their license, I can't even put them in non-free, so they
can't be relied upon at all.  I may just offer up debs for cxx-built qt2.2
in a different location :-(

> Is the g++ bug being looked into by the upstream?

Yes, in fact, it's already been addressed in later versions (hence, RH7's
ability to compile Qt2.2 well enough to work).  What's made it so
difficult was that the changes needed to make it work are tied to C++ ABI
changes, IIRC, so they can't be easily backported.

Admittedly, I'm dragging proverbial ass making a patch of my own to fix
this.  I have a half-finished one, but I'm secretly hoping for gcc3 to be
done before I need to finish it :-P