Re: mentor request

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Joshua Haberman wrote:

> http://www.reverberate.org/potato/audacity_0.94_i386.deb
> http://www.reverberate.org/woody/audacity_0.94_i386.deb
>
> Lintian complained at the very end of the latter build:
>
> W: audacity: unknown-section unknown
>
> Is that a section in the executable file? dh_strip runs successfully
> earlier in the build.

You should set the section correctly in debian/control.

> Since the program uses both libvorbis, libogg, and wxWindows, libraries
> only found in woody, I downloaded the source, compiled them under
> potato, and statically linked them for the potato deb. On the project
> web page, this is the only deb we advertise, for simplicity's sake (is
> there any reason why that would be a problem?)

I can't see a problem with this.

> What am I to do when there is another upstream release? Should I simply
> copy the "debian" directory out of the old tree and into the new, update
> the changelog, and rebuild? What about an incremental release, to fix a
> bug on my (wearing the package maintainer's hat) part? Am I supposed to
> make a diff of my changes?

There's some documentation at [1] that is worth reading. Especially the
"Debian New Maintainers' Guide" explains things like updating a package
very good.

> Lastly, what do I need to take into consideration to accomidate for
> people who wish to do a source build? How would I note that to build on
> potato, you must manually download and compile wxWindows and libvorbis?

This should be visible from the build dependencies in debian/control.

> Thanks for your help, Joshua

HTH,
Adrian

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel