Re: New-maintainer - STOP THAT SHIT

** On Jan 15, Hamish Moffatt scribbled:
> On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 10:49:00PM +0100, Marek Habersack wrote:
> > have brains and skills that can be used. And besides, a SOFTWARE PROJECT is
> > about giving its pariticpants access to software/hardware they can work on,
> > isn't it? Especially a multi-arch/multi-OS distribution like Debian.
>
> No, Debian (a software project) is about developing an OS, not
> about providing access to machines. The machines are only a tool
> for developing the distribution.
yes, but you can't expect all the maintainers hava a park of machines of all
architectures. And yet, the Debian OS runs different kernels and on
different architectures. The conclusion is obvious.

> They are not that exciting, either. Seen one Debian box, seen them all.
Hmm, I don't get it. It's like all of us (applicants) are looking forward to
have the golden Debian account just to lurk around the Debian machines?
That's a bit untrue (I speak for myself). But if that's a problem, I can resign
from the account as I already did resigned the @debian.org address (should I get
accepted, which I doubt now) - as long as I can have the ability to directly
upload packages to the Debian servers, have access to BTS, have right to
vote and whatnot - if you are all so worried about people having low
motivation, then I'm willing to prove you that I don't care about the two
issues that surface now and then (or rather all the time) in this thread -
e-mail @debian.org and account @debian.org. I have enough accounts and
e-mail addresses - more than I need really. And if I can't use Debian
machines to compile for other architectures, I'll try to find somebody else
to let me compile stuff there or just won't care about other architectures.

hoping you don't read the above as a flame (which it isn't)

regards,
marek

--
Visit: http://caudium.net - the Caudium WebServer

/* A completely unrelated fortune */
 You've always made the mistake of being yourself.   -- Eugene Ionesco