Re: Debian native package?

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 10:22:00PM -0500, Chris Danis wrote:
> I'm in the NM queue, currently packaging tclbabel, a piece of software I have
> written myself. Because I am both upstream and possibly Debian maintainer,
> should this be such a native package?

It really depends. If you make it a debian-native package, the idea is that
on any change (even one which affects only debian packaging) you release
a new version. This works perfectly for debian-specific packages like dpkg
or any of the scripts which are written and used generally only by
Debian.

In your case, you have to evaluate whether the bother of releasing a new
version of your software (like from 1.2.3 to 1.2.4) when a new
Standards-Version comes out and you update your package (but not your code)
to meet it outweighs the benefit to you (not having to maintain two
source trees) and the meta-benefit to Debian (there was once a script written
to find the debian-native packages, as a sort of marketing ploy: look what
our developers can do!).

In the end, when the package is actively maintained and developed, it
won't make a difference, but once it reaches that 'stable' plateau, it
could be somewhat of a bother. You really have to evaluate for yourself
how you want to do it.

Joe