Re: Dependencies, compiling, and XF402 questions

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 09:06:28AM -0800, Carl B. Constantine wrote:

> One of the things I struggle with in Debian (and some other distros like
> RedHat) is the issue of package dependencies and what happens if I recompile
> a major package such as XFree86.
>
> For example, say I have package 123 and it depends on X >= 4.0. Now I've
> compiled and installed X 4.0.2 but the package database of course does not
> recognize that I've done that. It still thinks I have X 3.3.6 therefore,
> package 123 does not install. How do I get around this? I know I could
> probably use --force with apt-get or dpkg but I'm wondering if there's
> another way? I could probably create my own packages for X, but don't really
> have the experience to do so, any tips and pointers would be appreciated.

it sounds like you've compiled and installed X without using the packages that
Branden made.....so, why ask him?  you can guess that he'll probably say
something like "just use my package that i lovingly made" except maybe with
more capital letters and some alternate wording.

i would suggest that if you want to play slackware and recompile everything,
you should use the packaging stuff available.  go look up "debuild" for
starters.  you can just apt-get source xutils or something, and you'll have
the source for X4 and all of Branden's packaging stuff.

then, you probably just have to type debuild and away it goes and makes all of
the packages for you.  once you have them, you can install them properly (ie
in the Debian manner, not the "make install" slackware manner), so that all
the dependancies are still working.

So, this way, you still get your "i compiled this myself" kicks, plus it keeps
the dependancies happy in case you want to install other things later.  You
see, in debian, it probably takes more experience to make and install a
package by hand rather than just utilizing the packaging info and typing
debuild.

if you want to get extra fancy, try playing with some of the auto-builder
stuff that automatically installs build-depends, then compiles, then takes off
the extra build-depends that you needed.  quite fun.

    Pete Lypkie                   Encrypted email preferred
    pete@linux-geek.net           see http://www.gnupg.org/