Re: modernising old packages

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 12:43:37AM +1100, Drew Parsons wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 09:58:14AM +0100, Bas Zoetekouw wrote:
> > You'll have to do it manually. The file
> > /usr/share/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist.text.gz contains all
> > chanes between subsequent policy versions. Using this file, you can
> > easily figure out what exacly you'll have to change.
> >
> I don't get it.  I've got /usr/share/doc now set up, but I can't get the
> link from /usr/doc to work properly now.  I put the script from the policy
> docs into postinst:
> if [ "$1" = "configure" ]; then
>       if [ -d /usr/doc -a ! -e /usr/doc/#PACKAGE# \
>        -a -d /usr/share/doc/#PACKAGE# ]; then
>               ln -sf ../share/doc/#PACKAGE# /usr/doc/#PACKAGE#
>       fi
> fi
>
> and I've got debian/rules to copy postinst into debian/tmp/DEBIAN/postinst,
> and I can confirm in the prepared debs that postint is right there where
> it's supposed to in the DEBIAN directory inside the deb file.

If you use dh_installdocs in your debian/rules file this will happen
automatically.

> But when I run lintian on the changes file, it still whinges about no
> symlink being setup for /usr/doc:
> N: perl checks disabled temporarily
> W: meschach: postinst-does-not-set-usr-doc-link
> W: meschach: prerm-does-not-remove-usr-doc-link

IANADD however it's been my recent experience with lintian that the
last upload to remove perl checks also broke the usr-doc-link check.
Every local package I have built/tested with new lintian claims the
usr-doc-link is not set, but it in fact is.

> (likewise, as you can see, for removing the link, where I have
> if [ \( "$1" = "upgrade" -o "$1" = "remove" \) \
>     -a -L /usr/doc/#PACKAGE# ]; then
>       rm -f /usr/doc/#PACKAGE#
> fi
> as suggested by the policy docs).
>

> Am I using the above scripts wrongly?  Was I supposed to substitute the name
> of the package instead of #PACKAGE# myself?  Am I supposed to do something
> to get the #DEBHELPER# line in postinst & prerm to work properly?  Is
> #DEBHELPER# supposed to be there at all?  (I thought it was, so it's there).

The #PACKAGE# lines above are from the example scripts in
/usr/share/debhelper/dh_make/debian*/rules if you debianize a source
package by running dh_make, #PACKAGE# will be replaced with the package
name. If you just copy them yourself you need to change the #PACKAGE#
reference yourself. However, the #DEBHELPER# anchors allow
dh_installdocs, dh_installmenu, et al to add the appropriate script
fragments in their place.

Good luck
Gordon Sadler