modernising old packages

I'm adopting the meschach packages (you might recall I was asking about
compiling it the other week).

meschach was prepared under an old Debian policy (debian/control says
Standards-Version: 2.3.0.1 ), and debian/rules makes a few references to
usr/doc.

What is the appropriate way of bringing meschach into the 21st Century?
Are there any tools for handling this, or do the changes need to be made
manually?

Do I have to manually update the Standards-Version in debian/control? (and
what exactly *is* the latest version?  The Debian Packaging manual v3.2.1.0
refers to /usr/doc )

Is changing references to usr/doc to usr/share/doc in debian/rules the right
way to go?

Are there any other points I need to keep in mind ?

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A