Re: What to do with optimization flags ?

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 06:11:47AM +0100, Samuel Hocevar wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 27, 2000, Ben Collins wrote:
> > IMO, the better way would be if the CPU intensive portions were in a
> > shared library (even if the library is only used for this application).
> > Then you could have one binary program, and do what libc6 does for
> > optimized libs:

>    This looks very elegant, but I'm afraid that the performance gain
> brougth by the 686 compilation might get countered by the lost register
> caused by -fPIC.

Two things :

* shared objects do not actually have to be built with -fPIC. They
work fine without it (on x86 at least). libtool can be a pain if you
try to use it, but thats all.

* for some programs at least, -mcpu=pentiumpro is faster than
-march=pentiumpro. It works on all x86 systems too. For the mmx/sse
stuff, I'm a big partisan of compiling both and using the right one at
run time (using function pointers initialized when you detect the
cpu). This is what mpeg2dec does too.

Hope this helps,

--
Michel "Walken" LESPINASSE
Of course I think I'm right. If I thought I was wrong, I'd change my mind.