Re: Contact?

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 10:49:24AM -0800, ferret@phonewave.net wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Tobias Bachmor wrote:
> > Samuel wrote:
> > >
> > > Took me a few months. All depends on how busy the ppl are.

> > It took me about 5(!) months to get assigned to an AM. And now it's been another 2 months without any response ... so keep on waiting :)
> Yup. I think it took me four months to get an AM contact. Then I got stuck
> back in the queue because I happen to be in the States and he wasn't.
> Oops. =(

Generally speaking, geographical proximity to the AM should not be the
reason for delay at all. For much of the problems reported in this
thread by applicants, as an AM, I frequently find that many applicants
take an inordinately long time to respond to emails. Since most AMs
deal with one or two applicants at any given time, the more time we spend
processing each applicant, someone else stays in the line longer.

Moral of the story for applicants: Keep your application ready before
your AM contacts you; get your key signed, have package(s) ready for
inspection, read the SC, DFSG & DMUP, browse the developer's
reference, etc. Heck, maybe file or fix some bugs, write
documentation, etc. It's amazing how quickly you will be processed, if
you show demonstratable skills and knowledge of debian policies &
procedures.

Gopal.

--
Gopal Narayanan <gopal@debian.org> <gopal@astro.umass.edu>