Re: NMU and ./configure

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 09:09:50PM +0300, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> On 20000927T182035+0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > configuration system should probably be patched so that you can. Anybody
> > should be able to install all the build-dependencies, build the package,
> > and get the same result as before (assuming they have the same version
> > of all the build-dependencies as the maintainer).
>
> No.
>
> Anybody should be able to build a package when its build-time dependencies
> are satisfied and end up with the same result as anyone else.  This is
> a policy recommendation.  If this is not true, it's a bug.

But, if the user has something *extra* installed, that the configure script
picks up and uses, because it is optional for the package build... you do
the math.

For this situation, I would suggest that we start to be really strict, and
use chroot jails for *all* builds.

--

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

                   Drive nail here ( ) to need a new monitor.