Re: how orig must orig.tar.gz be?

Gopal Narayanan <gopal@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 04:13:51PM +0200, Tom Cato Amundsen wrote:
> > I am packaging python-slang, and the upstream tarball contains
> > precompiled binaries for linux, sparc-solaris and win32. Is it
> > ok to remove the directory with the binaries from orig.tar.gz?
> >
> > People are talking about pristine source and these are ... binaries.
>
> Pristine, yes, but why not binaries shipped from upstream? The
> packaging manual does not say anywhere that the orig.tar.gz cannot
> contain binaries.

I'd say dump them. After all, the reason for .orig.tar.gz's is to make
it possible to build the package without any Debian specific stuff
(and in theory, to check it's md5sum, but that is rarely ever
done). I'm also maintainig a package that had binaries in it's
orig.tar.gz, and I removed them and put a note into README.Debian.

        Falk