Re: how to restrict Dependency to certain architectures?

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 12:58:52AM +0200, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> I'm maintaining a package (bibtex2html) that needs the ocaml
> compiler to build.
> The ocaml compiler, however, compiles to native code only on some
> architectures. On others (in particular mk68) it compiles only to
> ocaml byte code. Hence, on the latter architectures, my package would
> have to depend on the ocaml package, while this is not necessary on
> the former ones.

It is possible to create a stand-alone byte-compiled executable by
using the "-custom" option at link time.  You don't need the ocaml
package then.
In this case, it is probably a good idea to strip the C part of the
binary by also using the "-cclib -s" option (striping the binary
afterwards will not work).

> The ocaml package is quite large (14MB) and a user
> (rightfully) complained to me that he wouldn't want to install the
> ocaml package when it is not necessary. Splitting the ocaml package
> into runtime and devel would help but still doesn't completely solve
> the problem.

Once the ocaml package is split, it will probably be better to only
provide byte-compiled executable for small programs that are not CPU
intensive, such as bibtex2html.  Indeed, the byte-compiled version
will be smaller.  This would solve the problem in your case.

-- Jerome