automake -> debian/rules

I've perused some of the dpkg-related documentation, but maybe I'm
missing something simple.

If I already am using automake (or otherwise adhering to the GNU coding
standards), shouldn't there be some automatic way to generate most of
what's needed under debian?

I'd like to be able to build a debian package for my software, and would
like to do as little work as possible to get to the point where I need
only type one command in addition to the "make distcheck" I already do
when creating a new release.

My software is Java-based, i.e. "any" architecture.

--
Bruce R. Lewis				http://brl.sourceforge.net/