Re: loserjabber and xmms or not?

On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 05:05:59PM -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> Christian Surchi wrote:
>
> > I have a doubt. I have ITPed loserjabber, a gtk client for
> > livejournal.com. It can use xmms to extract title of played song
> > directly form it and use it when it adds entry to journal. If I
> > build package without xmms-dev clearly it will be impossible to
> > use this marginal fetaures. On the contrary, if I build with xmms
> > support, I will have a dependency on xmms... and it's not so good.
> >
> > What could I do?
>
> There are a few options, it seems: you could separate xmms from
> libxmms (though that would require cooperation of the other author),

Actually, have you confirmed that the function calls loserjabber is
hitting the libxmms or the mpg123 library?  What about the ID3 tags
library that xmms may be using to get this information?  Where exactly
is the entrance point to the title parser?  Likewise, how have the
libraries evolved?  Is libxmms duplicating the work found in
libmpg123?  Could loserjabber ultimately steal code from the xmms or
mpg123 libs and make it independent from both?

Certainly design questions that you could address the upstream
developer with, if not research them yourself.

--
  Chad "^chewie, gunnarr" Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>
              http://wookimus.net/chewie