Re: which Architecture to select for scripts?

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Ben Collins wrote:

> > I assume if you have a script which depends on an Architecture: any
> > or more restrictive Architecture:, you still just go ahead and set
> > Architecture: all and let the dependency make it clear which architectures
> > it can work on?

> If you mean, your script depends on a package that is architecure: any, or
> like "Architectre: i386 alpha", then yes. Your script has nothing
> architecture dependent. This way, if the program you depend on is ported
> to a new arch, you wont have to change your package.

But wouldn't that create uninstallable packages for the architectures
where there is no binary? I agree with Ben if the binary package in
question can theoretically be compiled on all archs (i.e. doesn't do
anything hardware-dependent like enumerate PCI devices), but you should
set it to the list of supported arches of the binary package if it
contains hardware dependencies.

   Simon

--
PGP public key available from http://phobos.fs.tum.de/pgp/Simon.Richter.asc
 Fingerprint: 10 62 F6 F5 C0 5D 9E D8  47 05 1B 8A 22 E5 4E C1