Including debian directory in CVS, or not.

I have CVS write access to a package I maintain for Debian.
Currently the upstream pristine tar file for this package comes
from `make source' in the CVS and does not include the debian
directory (which is now in the debian .diff.gz file).

I could add the debian directory to CVS and to `make source' such
that it becomes part of the upstream tar file.  Good idea?

If I do this and continue renaming the tar file as
PKG_VSN.orig.tar.gz to build the package, then dpkg-buildpackage
creates an empty diff file which compresses to a 20 bytes
.diff.gz file which will still be required for `dpkg-source -x'
to work.  Seems strange.

On the other hand, uploading it to Debian as PKG_VSN.tar.gz seems
wrong because there is a true upstream tar file.

Should I bother including the debian directory at all?  One
advantage is that other people downloading the tar file can build
debian packages for themselves easily (perhaps that's bad! Mat
lead to bad bug reports), and that developers using Debian can
tweak code and make modified packages for themselves for testing
purposes.  Another advantage is making it easier for me to build
new versions of the package (nothing to patch!).

Comments?
Thanks,
Peter