Re: Why?: Two hello- packages

Josip Rodin wrote:

Thank you for weighing in on this also.

> On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 02:16:39PM -0500, Bolan Meek wrote:
> > ...and find myself with some missing bits of
> > understanding as to exactly how a *.diff.gz is applied
> > to the corresponding *.orig.tar.gz.  I've tried ...
>
> Get the *.dsc file along with those two, and then run dpkg-source -x *.dsc.

I switched from pouring through _Debian_Developer's_Reference_ to
_Debian_Packaging_Manual_ , and saw this in section 3.1.1.  I was
distracted by a problem getting mail off a host into another domain,
so I didn't follow-up my message (gee, whiz, why do these guys aroung
here want me to _work_ so much that I can't get _important_ things
done?)

> Or unpack the tarball, enter the directory, and run zcat ../*.diff.gz |
> patch -p1 followed by chmod +x debian/rules, ...

I missed the -p1... and wonder if I would have gotten the chmod at
all...

> > In other matters, in reading the docs with xmailtool,
> > I find that the authors are not actively maintaining
> > the source, and do not find any site mentioning
> > anyone else who is, so I've assayed to also become
> > the upstream maintainer, and have sent a notice
> > of intent to the authors, at the last known email
> > address, and have started a page at
> > http://www.koyote.com/users/bolan/xmailtool .
> > Is this correct method?  Or "way" too presumptious,
> > having skipped some proper steps?
>
> Are the authors reachable by e-mail?

There are email addresses in the original documentation, and
I sent applications to each of these two last week.  The last,
belonging to someone otherwise not mentioned in the docs,
resulted in a reply by someone else, having the same username,
but from a different domain.  I assumed there was a merger,
or something.

The principal did not respond last week to two emails, but the
original docs, and one web page I read, said he is not actively
maintaining the source.  In the case that he is on vacation, as
opposed to no longer at the company, which may be the case of the
second, I estimate that there will be plenty of time before I
can actually get out a release with any bug fixes or enhancements.
Just trying to be pessimistic/"realistic"...

Just for reference, here is the notice I emailed yesterday: