Re: two packets providing the same config file?

On Sun, May 28, 2000 at 04:14:43PM +0200, Christian Hammers wrote:
> libmysqlclient6.deb provides the config file /etc/mysql/my.cnf that
> is used by all mysql applications (that want to use it).

This should never have happened, it's violation of policy (somewhat), see
section 4.3 "Shared libraries":

   If your package has some run-time support programs which use the
   shared library you must not put them in the shared library package. If
   you do that then you won't be able to install several versions of the
   shared library without getting filename clashes. Instead, either
   create a third package for the runtime binaries (this package might
   typically be named libraryname-runtime--note the absence of the soname
   in the package name) or if the development package is small include
   them in there.

The same applies to the config files, I think, it's just not spelled out.

> I want that the config file from lib9 gets installed if the user insalled
> this library but that he *also* can install the old lib6 for old
> programs that can't be recompiled. lib9 can overwrite lib6 and install its
> version but can I tell apt-get that it shouldn't overwrite lib9's config
> file with lib6's ?

Split out the config file into another package, like mysql-common or
something like that. Along with any other non-library files you may have
in the lib6 package.