Re: dependency question

On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 01:40:26PM +0200, Tom Cato Amundsen wrote:
> Should I keep the Depends: line as short as possible, and only depend
> on python-gnome, since is it depends on python-gtk? This seems ok to
> me so I'll to it if nobody objects.

There is no benefit to keeping the Depends field short.  You should
depend on all packages you actually use, but not those that are only
used by your dependencies.  So if the program actually imports the
python-gtk modules, you should depend on python-gtk.  If you just import
the python-gnome modules and don't actually use python-gtk directly,
then only depend on python-gnome (because it is theoretically possible
that a future hypothetical version of python-gnome may not use
python-gtk, and if you don't use python-gtk directly, there's no reason
to bring it in)

-Ben

--
Ben Darnell              bgdarnel@unity.ncsu.edu