Re: package review for sitescooper 2.2.3-4

On Sat, Mar 11, 2000 at 01:37:28AM +0000, michael d. ivey wrote:

> actually, debmake sets it to 3.1.1, whereas dh_make sets it to 3.0.1.
> since i'm not fully caught up on the differences, i just went with
> what the package tool did for me.

    This is a bad habit to start.  When a packaging tool does
something, you better know why, because it might be wrong.  Don't use
commands when you don't know what they do, or at least, what they are
supposed to do.  In this particular case, I would actually say the
debhelper behaviour is a bug; I might file one eventually when I get
up the mental coherence.  In particular here, you need to read the
packaging manual, section 8.7.

> > package. Just add a Build-Depends: debhelper line to your control file and
> > add all other packages you need additionaly to build-essential packages.
> > See the build-essential package and my short notice on build-depends:
> >  http://www.debian.org/~cts/Build-Depends
>
> i'll check this out, and see what i can do.  is Build-Depends the only
> major change from 3.0.1 to 3.1.1?

    No, but it's probably the only one that the packaging tools aren't
accounting for already.  A checklist can be found in
/usr/share/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist.text.gz.
    You REALLY ought to give the packaging manual and the developers
reference a good read, in addition to all the files in the
debian-policy package.

--
Zed Pobre <zed@debian.org> a.k.a. Zed Pobre <zed@resonant.org>
PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail welcomed.