basics: easiest way to create new debian version?

Ok, here we go.. the problem: I see the new Debian package maintainers
guide quite a good document, but it isn't obvious  (at least to me :)
how to create a new debian version out of the already debianized
package - so far I've created package from the scratch every time (of
course, some of the old debian files like rules, dirs etc can often be
used as is with the new package).

I've heard of dch, but the description says it only helps to maintain
debian/changelog with new releases.

So, what is the easiest way to create new debian version? does the
same apply to new version which is also new in upstream version? I'm
familiar with CVS, so is it then more recommendable to use CVS 'by
hand' or use the cvs-buildpackage?

Anyway, I think it might be a good idea to add this information about
creating new .debs to the new debian maintainer-howto.

--
# Ed						-- amo, ergo sum