Slip up package.

Dear all,

I've put together a tiny bin package and source tgz:
   http://www.cix.co.uk/~mayday/slipup_1.0-1_i386.deb
   http://www.cix.co.uk/~mayday/slipup.tgz

This package has a program to configure and start a very simple local
null-modem SLIP link. It's designed to work in 'no brainer mode' even
from a root'n'boot floppy like the debian rescue disk.

I may be looking for a sponser ... I've just started to work through all
the 'other' documents for debian packages.

I think I'd prefer it if somebody else is the official debian maintainer
if possible as it's the first time I've tried to put together a deb file.

The manpage is appended below.

BTW: If anybody has suggestions for the program I'm very open to them,
     this is just a quick hack so far after all.

--
Rob.                          (Robert de Bath <http://poboxes.com/rdebath>)
                    <rdebath @ poboxes.com> <http://www.cix.co.uk/~mayday>

SLIPUP(8)                                               SLIPUP(8)

NAME
     slipup - Quickly bring up and configure a local SLIP link

SYNOPSIS
     slipup [-csa6vkfL] tty_device [script [extra_args]]

DESCRIPTION
     Slipup  is  designed  to  give  a simple foolproof method of
     putting a serial port into SLIP  mode,  configuring  it  and
     closing it down afterwards.

     To just use it you might simply do this:

     $ echo /dev/ttyS5 192.168.0.10 192.168.0.1 >> /etc/slip.tty
     $ slipup /dev/ttyS5 &

     To shutdown the link just send  slipup  an  interrupt  or  a
     SIGTERM.   In  this  example the local IP is 192.168.0.1 and
     the remote IP address is 192.168.0.10, if ommitted the local
     IP defaults to the hostname.

     See CONFIGURATION, below, for more details.

OPTIONS

     -v   Verbose,  add a tiny piece of verbosity.  It prints the
          net device and serial port.

     -c   Configure the serial port in C-SL/IP mode, this is  the
          default.

     -s   Configure the serial port in classical SL/IP mode.

     -a   Configure  the serial port to use and adaptive protocol
          that works out for itself if the other end  understands
          C-SL/IP.

     -6   Configure  the  serial port to use the 6-bit varient of
          SL/IP, you don't want to use this but you may  have  to
          if  the  serial  connection  cannot  be made completely
          8-bit transparent.  If you can  arrange  it  you'll  be
          much better off with pppd(8).

     -L   Put the serial port into local mode, all transitions of
          DCD are ignored.  Without this flag  the  program  will
          exit if it sees the DCD control line drop.

     -k   Enable the kernel SL/IP Keepalive option.

     -f   Enable the kernel SL/IP Linefill option.

CONFIGURATION
     Slipup itself configures the serial port  to  be  115200bps,
     8-bit  clean  and  use RTS/CTS flow control.  To adjust this

                            Jan, 2000                           1

SLIPUP(8)                                               SLIPUP(8)

     and configure the network  device  it  creates  it  calls  a
     script.   This script is either given on the command line or
     defaults  to  /etc/slip.up.   The  default   script   simply
     configures  the SLIP device with remote and local IP address
     looked up from the /etc/slip.tty file and adds  a  route  to
     point to it.

     This  script  is  called three times during the execution of
     slipup.  If any of  these  calls  returns  a  non-zero  exit
     status slipup will drop out with a fatal error.

     The  first  call is after the serial port has been setup but
     before it is put into SLIP mode, the script is  called  with
     these arguments:

     $ /etc/slip.up dial <proto> /dev/ttyS5 <extra_args>

     The  extra_args  are  the addition arguments from the slipup
     command line and proto is the protocol that slipup  will  be
     configuring  the  line to use.  At this stage the script can
     change the configuration of the serial port or login to  the
     remote host.  It could even dial a modem if you really want.

     The second call to the script is made once the port has been
     put into SLIP mode:

     $ /etc/slip.up up sl0 /dev/ttyS5 <extra_args>

     The sl0 is the name of the network device  that  the  kernel
     allocated and the rest of the arguments are as before.  This
     call  is  for  configuring  the  network  device   with   IP
     addresses,  MTU  etc,  setting  up  the  routing, setting up
     firewall rules, adjusting the arp table  and  anything  else
     you might think of.

     The  final  call of the script only happens once the network
     device has been disabled by slipup:

     $ /etc/slip.up down sl0 /dev/ttyS5 <extra_args>

     This normally has very little to do as most  of  the  kernel
     tables are cleared automatically.  The ipfwadm(8) tables are
     not automatically adjusted so you may want to fix these.

BUGS
     Probably,  I  threw  this program together one weekend after
     getting annoyed at how difficult it was  to  install  Debian
     across a SL/IP link.

AUTHOR
     This manual page and  slipup(8)  were  written  by  and  are
     Copyright   2000   Robert   de  Bath  <rdebath@poboxes.com>,
     Distributed under the GPL Version 2.

                            Jan, 2000                           2